The Alliance-Bioversity International-CIAT operates a small Secretariat for the overall coordination of MusaNet, with the following responsibilities:
- Provide support to Thematic Groups and Expert Committee to ensure that agreed workplans are carried out.
- Facilitate communication through the MusaNet website and email list server for each Thematic Group and Expert Committee.
- Gather and distribute information and provide progress reports on a regular basis
- Initiate ad hoc activities in accordance with Expert Committee’s guidance
- Organizing Thematic Group and Expert Committee meetings
- Raise public awareness about MusaNet, its goal and activities
Currently the Coordination Secretariat is composed of the following Alliance staff:
Nicolas Roux, MusaNet Coordinator
Rachel Chase, Assistant Coordinator
Parc Scientific Agropolis II
1990 Boulevard de la Lironde
34397 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Email: musanetsecretariat@ gmail.com
Additional role of the Alliance Bioversity International-CIAT
The Alliance Bioversity International-CIAT will also contribute to MusaNet with the following:
- Provide scientific and technical advice on issues discussed and debated in the Thematic Groups and Expert Committee.
- Provide information of genetic resources through the management of the Musa Germplasm Information System (MGIS).
- Contribute to the global system by ensuring the cost-effective long-term conservation and management of the global collection of Musa genetic resources held in trust in the global public domain at the International Transit Centre (ITC).
- Processing germplasm for virus pre-indexing; therapy; indexing and genetic integrity monitoring via ITC.
- Contribute to scientific publications.